On November 21st, a High-Level meeting between members of the European Comission and of the Government of Georgia has take place within the Eastern Partnership.
Some interesting facts have arise from the meeting, specially with reference on the Sphere initiative.
Concerning Education, Research, Innovation and Culture, the keys points reflected in the area of Academic Exchange are:
- 6 milion of euros invested for students and academic staff for Erasmus+ programme
- 1.5 milion euros to further contribute scientific excellence and increase competitiveness via Horizon 2020
In reference to the Education area, the European School based in Tiblisi has launched a second phase where new premises have been constructed and the curriculum of specialized high-school have been developed.
We should also highlight for the Sphere consortium the outcomes related to Education, Research, Innovation and Culture, as:
- Additional possibilities for exchanges under Erasmus+ (topping up of the already allocated regional amounts); with appropriate technical assistance from the EU analysis of cost and benefits for Georgia moving in the direction of becoming an Erasmus+ Programme Country in the long-term.
- Support to mobility of Georgian researchers to contribute to furthering scientific excellence in Georgia and increase competitiveness in EU Framework Programmes, included under the Annual Action Programme 2018 (signed on 21 Nov.)
- Continuation of the successful implementation of the Eastern Partnership European School based in Tbilisi; cooperation and co-financing with the Government of Georgia required for the second phase.
- Organization of a study visit to the Joint Research Centre Ispra site for policy makers and researchers.
- More favourable conditions for participation in Horizon Europe programme.
- Signature of Agreement for the Sector Reform Contract on “Skills Development and Matching for Labour Market Needs”
But also some outcomes related to Economy, Trade and Connectivity, as:
- Scientific support on Smart Specialisation: institutional capacity building assistance and support by Joint
- Research Centre for the adoption of the smart specialisation (S3) principles.
- Support to alignment with EU acquis on Intellectual Property Rights through cooperation with EU Intellectual
- Property Office; included in the Annual Action Programme 2018 (to be signed on 21 Nov.)
More information can be found in the two interesting docs emerged form the meeting: a summary of outcomes and a factsheet (availables to download in this page)